While in Indiana, I asked a Pastor if there was a book he thought I should read while staying in the area for a few weeks; he let me borrow an awesome book that I probably am going to buy because of it resources, it is called “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist“. Now I love to read, and I read a lot, however I am probably the slowest reader in the world, so I didn’t read the book completely, but only in a few places, more or less skimming over it to see if there was something that caught my attention. well I found something and I would like to share it with you because it birthed the thoughts in this post.
Let me give you some experts from “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist” Pg. 37-38
1. Truth is discovered, not invented (it exists independent of any other’s knowledge of it.) Gravity existed prior to Newton
2. Truth is transcultural; if something is true, it is true for all people, in all places, at all times. (2+2=4 for everyone, everywhere)
3. Truth is unchanging even though our beliefs about truth change. (when we began to believe the earth was round instead of flat, the truth about the earth didn’t change, only our belief about the earth changed)
4. Beliefs cannot change a fact, no matter how sincerely they are held. (Someone can sincerely believe the world is flat, but that only makes that person sincerely mistaken)
5. Truth is not affected by the attitude of the one professing it. (An arrogant person does not make the truth he professes false. a humble person does not make the error he professes true)
6. All truths are absolute truths. Even truths that appear to be relative are really absolute. (Example: “I, Frank Turek, feel warm on November 20, 2003” may appear to be a relative truth, but it is actually absolutely true for everyone, everywhere believes that Frank Turek had the sensation of warmth on that day.)
Remember this little thought that “Truth” relevance is found in it being absolute. Truth is in direct connection to God and His Word; which is both eternal and applicable to today.
I heard a preacher say once…
Be Rooted to the Truth, But Relevent to the Times…
and when he made this statement he was using it as if they are separate, However Truth is never irrelevant, it always the same, regardless if the place or situation.
Now with those thoughts in mind; think about the manifold Truths about God and His Word:
- God is the Saviour to All Mankind.
- God has Given Salvation to Anyone Who Accepts it Eternally.
- God Has Given Specific Instruction to the Church To Achieve Across All Cultures With the Same Methods and Same Message.
- God Has Given His Word In Inspiration and Kept His Inspired Word Through Preservation To All Who Will Take The Time To Read It.
- God Has Given Conditional Promises Throughout His Word That Will Be Honored When The Conditions Of The Promise Are Up Held.
What We Should Be Aware of When it Comes to Truth As Christians, and what should we do with the truth God has given to us?
1. We Will Be Judged By Truth. Rom 2:21
2. Truth Received Brings More Light. John 3:19-21
3. Truth Rejected Brings Darkness. John 3:19-21
R B Ouellette: The More we embrace error the more we diminish truth
4. Truth Is To Be Fought For
Truth is to be Stood for, Stood with, and We are to Stand because of the truth.
Jude 1:3 “…that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.”
Have any thoughts or comments? We would love to hear what you think from you.